RE: New 'F1' trailer drops in the wake of British GP

RE: New 'F1' trailer drops in the wake of British GP

Yesterday

New 'F1' trailer drops in the wake of British GP

Brad Pitt's starring, Lewis Hamilton's behind the scenes - the F1 movie is shaping up very nicely indeed

Yesterday’s victory for Lewis Hamilton at Silverstone, his first for two years and seven months and the win that gave him an unprecedented ninth at the British Grand Prix, felt like something from the movies. Indeed much of this season has, with Hamilton’s Ferrari move, the Red Bull maelstrom, and McLaren’s emergence from the midfield to race challengers. Sometimes it can feel like the Formula 1 circus would make for quite a good film

Though the very simple ‘F1’ title has only recently been confirmed, we’ve known about the movie for a little while now. Anything starring Brad Pitt and with Lewis Hamilton aiding the production was likely to make a splash - especially as a focus on realism has meant shooting in the pit lane during race weekends.

Rarely have we seen such devotion to what flagship motorsport is actually like - Rush was very good, but was all about a different era, and the exceptional Senna movie was obviously a documentary. Then again, with Drive to Survive providing Netflix viewers with more insight than ever before, it's fair to say that any new film that calls itself 'F1' is going to need to be on its game. 

The movie follows the APXGP team, with Brad Pitt as a former driver returning to the sport and racing alongside Damson Idris as the rookie teammate. The cast also includes Javier Bardem, Kerry Condon, Tobias Menzies, Sarah Niles, Kim Bodnia and Samson Kayo. The makers have said F1 will ‘immerse audiences in the spectacle of the most popular annual sports series, celebrating the skill and heroism of the drivers while showcasing the incredible challenge of competition in Formula 1.’ We’ve seen filming at races since last year, and that will continue all the way to Abu Dhabi this December.

This newly released trailer certainly whets the appetite for next summer’s release. The engines sound real for one thing, which often seems beyond a car film, and the action already looks properly, genuinely thrilling. Not the usual augmented mess. Add to that the real drivers alongside Pitt and Idris, tracks like Spa, Silverstone and Monza, plus a cameo from Guenther Steiner, and F1 is shaping up nicely for even the most cynical of Grand Prix fans.

The film is being directed by Joseph Kosinski, the man responsible for making a decent job of both the Tron: Legacy and Top Gun: Maverick. F1 will be in North American cinemas on 27th June 2025 and ‘internationally beginning 25th June.’ So we’re surely less than a year from seeing it in UK picturehouses. Best get booking some time off soon, just to be sure you’re available… 

Author
Discussion

C5_Steve

Original Poster:

3,709 posts

106 months

Yesterday (11:25)
quotequote all
I'm cautiously optimistic for this, especially so after seeing the trailer. Kosinski is fantastic at putting the actors in the heart of the action and has done some of the best recent action sequences all the way back to the light cycle scenes in Tron: Legacy. I'm fascinated by how they're integrating the film into the real F1 paddock as well; you could see them doing the media pen yesterday after the race with the two leads. It'll certainly be immersive.

I really can't think of anything else like it that's come before.

KTF

9,868 posts

153 months

Yesterday (12:03)
quotequote all
I suspect a large pinch of salt will be required when watching this.

fantheman80

1,509 posts

52 months

Yesterday (12:06)
quotequote all
I really hope its good.....but that opening dialogue was utter gash "need you to build a car for combat" " How can I make that safe?" captivating.

We shall see.

Avus Blue

109 posts

136 months

Yesterday (12:23)
quotequote all
C5_Steve said:
I'm cautiously optimistic for this, especially so after seeing the trailer. Kosinski is fantastic at putting the actors in the heart of the action and has done some of the best recent action sequences all the way back to the light cycle scenes in Tron: Legacy. I'm fascinated by how they're integrating the film into the real F1 paddock as well; you could see them doing the media pen yesterday after the race with the two leads. It'll certainly be immersive.

The only film I can think of that's close is Steve McQueen in Le Mans, real cars and real drivers on the actual track filmed after the race had ended. The documentary film The Man and Le Mans is worth a watch to see the lengths they went to to make it seem real. I've seen the 917 McQueen drove at a motor museum somewhere but I cant remember which one, and it was at the Sherborne Supercar and Classic show one year too.

Fiesta1.0L

99 posts

101 months

Yesterday (12:27)
quotequote all
Was that female lead engineer in a wheelchair too?

And Pitt makes Alonso look like a spring chicken.

The combat/safe bit could have been lifted from Rush.

Suspend belief and i'm sure it'll be entertaining enough though.

CH3NO2

40 posts

84 months

Yesterday (12:51)
quotequote all
Since LH and Joseph Kosinski are involved I am hopeful (but not entirely confident) that this will turn out to be a good, realistic film. Racing film makers always seem to have to walk the line between making it understandable to non enthusiasts and not making the enthusiasts cringe with poor dialogue and unrealistic scenes. Few motor racing films have come down the right side of the line for us.

nismo48

3,963 posts

210 months

Yesterday (13:05)
quotequote all
Avus Blue said:
C5_Steve said:

The only film I can think of that's close is Steve McQueen in Le Mans, real cars and real drivers on the actual track filmed after the race had ended. The documentary film The Man and Le Mans is worth a watch to see the lengths they went to to make it seem real. I've seen the 917 McQueen drove at a motor museum somewhere but I cant remember which one, and it was at the Sherborne Supercar and Classic show one year too.
Yes the Steve McQueen film and documentary very informative and conveyed all the pressures of putting together a film that pretty much bankrupted him and affected his personal life immensely.
Saw the 917 Porsche at Goodwood Festival of Speed back in the late 90's with Derek Bell at the wheel and talking about his involvement with the team.
I hope this new film is a success too. smile

Edited by nismo48 on Monday 8th July 13:08

esuuv

1,332 posts

208 months

Yesterday (13:06)
quotequote all
Drive to survive is “factual” and manages to make F1 into the Kardashians - added sound, false jeopardy etc…..

This will be what Top Gun is to actually being in the US Navy.

suffolk009

5,543 posts

168 months

Yesterday (13:16)
quotequote all
Fiesta1.0L said:
Was that female lead engineer in a wheelchair too?

And Pitt makes Alonso look like a spring chicken.

The combat/safe bit could have been lifted from Rush.

Suspend belief and i'm sure it'll be entertaining enough though.
I think Brad will find the the correct line about building any race car is, " I'm gonna give you an engine low to the ground... extra thick oil pan to cut the wind from underneath you. It'll give you thirty or forty more horsepower. I'm gonna give you a fuel line that'll hold an extra gallon of gas. I'm gonna shave half an inch off you and shape you like a bullet. I'll get you primed, painted and weighed, and you'll be ready to go out on that racetrack."

suffolk009

5,543 posts

168 months

Yesterday (13:18)
quotequote all
And the action footage that we get to pay for, well... it looks a bit crap now.

matrignano

4,470 posts

213 months

Yesterday (13:19)
quotequote all
The driving scenes don't look half as bad as I expected!

Suspect the storyline will be a bit too Hollywood but willing to give this the benefit of the doubt for now

the-norseman

12,746 posts

174 months

Yesterday (13:29)
quotequote all
I reckon it will be rubbish, but well see.

RacerMike

4,288 posts

214 months

Yesterday (13:34)
quotequote all
Avus Blue said:
C5_Steve said:

Surely also the Ford vs Ferrari film? That also treads the line of entertainment and accuracy very well, and it focusses on someone who was a largely unkown hero/talent in the Ford GT story. i.e. it tells an actual story rather than trying to be 'entertaining'. I fear from the first dialogue in the trailer about 'making the car fast in the corners because RedBull, McLaren and Mercedes are all fast on the straights' that it may be a little Disney and disbelief may well have to be suspended a little too much despite the undoubtadly immersively filmed content.

Also heard that Apple could have fielded a genuine F1 team for the money they've spent filming it....

RDMcG

19,325 posts

210 months

Yesterday (13:35)
quotequote all
Well, we know who will win.

There are very few car films worth the time.

Le Mans is only worth seeing because of the cars these days. Grand Prix was OK in its time.

So, we have another ageing movie star morphing into a brilliant driver..like Tom Cruise or Stallone.

I'll watch it on a plane I expect.

Cold

15,334 posts

93 months

Yesterday (13:36)
quotequote all
I'm looking forward to the overtaking scenes where the only method of getting past the car in front is to push the throttle pedal down a bit further.

sleepezy

1,855 posts

237 months

Yesterday (13:40)
quotequote all
KTF said:
I'd agree - however...

they do seem to have nailed Guenther

WPA

9,241 posts

117 months

Yesterday (13:52)
quotequote all
KTF said:
Agreed

C5_Steve

Original Poster:

3,709 posts

106 months

Yesterday (14:00)
quotequote all
RacerMike said:
Avus Blue said:
C5_Steve said:

Surely also the Ford vs Ferrari film? That also treads the line of entertainment and accuracy very well, and it focusses on someone who was a largely unkown hero/talent in the Ford GT story. i.e. it tells an actual story rather than trying to be 'entertaining'. I fear from the first dialogue in the trailer about 'making the car fast in the corners because RedBull, McLaren and Mercedes are all fast on the straights' that it may be a little Disney and disbelief may well have to be suspended a little too much despite the undoubtadly immersively filmed content.

Also heard that Apple could have fielded a genuine F1 team for the money they've spent filming it....
Both Le Mans and Ford Vs Ferrari are fair comparisons in regards to the accuracy of the cars and driving but with this new film it's the blending of the film into an actual race season that I find fascinating.

I think the comparison someone made earlier about this film being to F1 fans what Top Gun is to the Navy is spot on. And I'm here for it, Maverick was one of the best films I've seen on the big screen for the sheer enjoyment of it. If this film can come close to that it'll be brilliant. Sure, we can be boring and nit pick it no end and call it cheesy etc but at the end of the day it looks like it'll be fun.

Side note, the fantastic designer Daniel Simon who worked on Tron: Legacy/Oblivion etc along with designing the Robocar and many other fantastic things (worked on the Singer DLS) designed the livery for the "new" team with Mercedes advising. There's a level of detail they're going into on this film that really is impressive.

smilo996

2,868 posts

173 months

Yesterday (14:15)
quotequote all
Well, since domestic US motorsport failed to capture a wider audience, F1 is purchased by US media company and now and as usual, it gets recycled as if it was murican all the time. So tiresome, complete with shoehorning drivers in from the US who should never be there, actors buying in and others buying teams, all of them performing terribly. So a murican film was always on the cards.
It has big boots to fill.

matrignano

4,470 posts

213 months

Yesterday (14:19)
quotequote all
Cold said:
I'm looking forward to the overtaking scenes where the only method of getting past the car in front is to push the throttle pedal down a bit further.
And/or drop down two gears hehe