Selling house to be better off - Discuss

Selling house to be better off - Discuss

Author
Discussion

Seventyseven7

Original Poster:

918 posts

72 months

I’m trying to understand a financial decision that seems unwise but I can't articulate why.

Situation: A couple is selling their house to move abroad. Due to a work opportunity, they need to stay in the country for another 12 months.

Mortgage remaining: £200k
House value: £700k
House sale: Set to complete in the next month or two
Net proceeds from sale: £500k
Options for the next 12 months:

Option 1: Remain in the House

Pull out of the sale and continue living in the house.
Monthly mortgage payment: £1,900 (current base rate 5.25%, £900 going towards capital).If they fix rate, will be caught in early repayment fee when selling in next 12 months.
After 12 months: Additional £10,800 in equity, total expenditure of £22,800 in mortgage payments.
Additional costs: Solicitor fees and upkeep of the house.

Option 2: Proceed with the Sale

Place £500k in savings accounts with FSCS protection via HL.
After 12 months: Earn approximately £25,219 in interest. - Tax would be around 6k I think.
Rent a property for 12 months: Estimated cost of £1,800 per month, total expenditure of £18,000.
The couple can move to a cheaper area, no significant hardship as they are a young couple without children.

Am I correct in thinking that Option 2 is the more sensible financial decision? They could cover the rent with the interest alone and will fully save their wages for a year?

deggles

625 posts

205 months

12 months at £1800 is not £18,000 wink

Another thing to consider is the figures you are talking about are almost immaterial vs. the value of the house. Is the sale at £700k agreed/guaranteed? Do you think the house would sell for more or less than that in 12 months time? Even a 1-2% shift in either direction is going to materially alter your ‘additional equity’ estimation.

Prisoner 24601

563 posts

51 months

At a guess....i reckon the value of the house will go down over the next 12 months, related to the incoming government. The general public may end further tightening their purse strings, with a general reduction in the number of buyers in the market.

Prisoner 24601

563 posts

51 months

Aa a complete aside - this thread has started wonderfully because of the ratio of no. of posts/months of website membership.

Three paid up lurkers!

joropug

2,632 posts

192 months

The house might take longer to sell another time, fall through, have legal issues - all of which could add additional monthly costs.

To have the flexibility to dump and move abroad I’d definitely sell now and rent for 12

Edited by joropug on Sunday 7th July 17:49

interstellar

3,505 posts

149 months

Me too. If they have a sale in place I would do exactly this and sell now.

Seventyseven7

Original Poster:

918 posts

72 months

deggles said:
12 months at £1800 is not £18,000wink

Another thing to consider is the figures you are talking about are almost immaterial vs. the value of the house. Is the sale at £700k agreed/guaranteed? Do you think the house would sell for more or less than that in 12 months time? Even a 1-2% shift in either direction is going to materially alter your ‘additional equity’ estimation.
biglaugh You can see why I am asking for financial advice, when I'm failing at basic math!

House sale agreed and waiting on completion.

I don't think the house will increase, it's been sold over asking price, would need a real increase in the house market for it to increase, but it is a really difficult think to know.

irc

7,711 posts

139 months

Selling now is a no brainer IMO.

1. Not a huge amount in it financially.

2. Avoids the risk of a slow sale a year from now and timing the sale with leaving

3 Makes the decision of when/f to come back more flexible in future.

4 Means if they come back to UK to jobs in a different part of the country they are not stuck with a house in the wrong place.

5 Avoids the risk of any changes to capital gains tax on main residence by new govt. I think that unlikely but why take a risk you can avoid?

6 If they end up staying abroad permanently they might need to sell it to prove non residence. Guessing here as I know bugger all about residence rules.

Ed.Neumann

488 posts

11 months

Prisoner 24601 said:
At a guess....i reckon the value of the house will go down over the next 12 months, related to the incoming government. The general public may end further tightening their purse strings, with a general reduction in the number of buyers in the market.
I'm not so sure.

Labour are doing a new Freedom To Buy scheme, government secured mortgages to get youngsters on the housing ladder.

Which is only going to ramp up house prices if they do, probably ending up doing more damage than good.

Oh and will build 1.5 million new homes...

“We will reintroduce housing targets, build on disused grey belt land, fast track permissions on brownfield and build the next generation of new towns”

First dibs policy “work with developers to give local people ‘first dibs’ on new developments, ending the farce of entire developments sold off to international investors before local people get a look in.”
How is that actually going to work?
"Well we offered these £600k starter homes for first time buyers but they weren't interested so we sold them to the highest bidder."

Their other promise is...
Tax foreign buyers to fund planning officers: “tax foreign buyers pricing out young people to fund new planning officers to approve homes next generation needs”

Now, to be fair, this is something so many other countries do and we should have been doing years ago.

But overall I can see these ideas back firing and having the opposite effect and will see prices climb back up again like they always do when lending gets easier.
There needs to be some pain for house prices to slow down and get back to being affordable once more.

This is the insanity of youngsters cheering on the increase in population by 750k a year and then screaming that house prices are too high.
Many of those coming here will be working those jobs that pay minimum wage, and while they flood in those jobs can get away with paying minimum wage, which suppresses wages across the board and thus means the buying power of your wage compared to a few years ago is pathetic.

Of course there are other factors, but that is a big one.

But for me, if definitely selling, out of selling now or in 12 months, sell it now and get it done and dusted.

Edited by Ed.Neumann on Sunday 7th July 23:51

halo34

2,577 posts

202 months

Yesterday (08:53)
quotequote all
Tax position might also affect rental income too, not forgetting that there is also the time before and after the renting period to consider.

Interest generated in savings will also be at the rate of tax for the highest earner assuming its stuck into their account and they do returns.

Personally I wouldn't want the risk of a tenant that might go awry when the mortgage is free and clear from ERC etc.

You also carry a risk for repairs on the property which is something that could eat into any profits.

Amateurish

7,823 posts

225 months

Yesterday (09:04)
quotequote all
Have you exchanged on the sale? If so, there will be a large financial penalty if you pull out.

Arrivalist

132 posts

2 months

Yesterday (09:10)
quotequote all
How would you feel if, for some reason, in 12 months time you fail to find another buyer and it scuppers your move?

If that’s an unpalatable situation then you definitely sell now.

mwstewart

7,764 posts

191 months

Yesterday (09:13)
quotequote all
Option 2. I think that it would be unwise do otherwise at this time just for 12 months.

bigandclever

13,864 posts

241 months

Yesterday (09:23)
quotequote all
I can't even work out who is moving where, when and for how long smile

Arrivalist

132 posts

2 months

Yesterday (09:27)
quotequote all
bigandclever said:
I can't even work out who is moving where, when and for how long smile
OP, Overseas, 12 months time, unknown.

Zolvaro

146 posts

2 months

Yesterday (09:31)
quotequote all
Seventyseven7 said:
I’m trying to understand a financial decision that seems unwise but I can't articulate why.

Situation: A couple is selling their house to move abroad. Due to a work opportunity, they need to stay in the country for another 12 months.

Mortgage remaining: £200k
House value: £700k
House sale: Set to complete in the next month or two
Net proceeds from sale: £500k
Options for the next 12 months:

Option 1: Remain in the House

Pull out of the sale and continue living in the house.
Monthly mortgage payment: £1,900 (current base rate 5.25%, £900 going towards capital).If they fix rate, will be caught in early repayment fee when selling in next 12 months.
After 12 months: Additional £10,800 in equity, total expenditure of £22,800 in mortgage payments.
Additional costs: Solicitor fees and upkeep of the house.

Option 2: Proceed with the Sale

Place £500k in savings accounts with FSCS protection via HL.
After 12 months: Earn approximately £25,219 in interest. - Tax would be around 6k I think.
Rent a property for 12 months: Estimated cost of £1,800 per month, total expenditure of £18,000.
The couple can move to a cheaper area, no significant hardship as they are a young couple without children.

Am I correct in thinking that Option 2 is the more sensible financial decision? They could cover the rent with the interest alone and will fully save their wages for a year?
Lock it in now. I would also consider moving the cash to whatever country they are planning to move to IF they are happy with the current exchange rates.

When our interest rates start to come down they could be hit with the double whammy of less interest and a worse exchange rate.

Edited by Zolvaro on Monday 8th July 09:35

Armitage.Shanks

2,316 posts

88 months

Yesterday (13:14)
quotequote all
‘Additional £10,800 in equity, total expenditure of £22,800 in mortgage payments. ‘

Putting that much in to get potentially less than half back would make my mind up. Property price rises being the great unknown.

Mogul

2,951 posts

226 months

Yesterday (13:22)
quotequote all
Is there any material risk that the ‘overseas work opportunity’ might fall through?

gotoPzero

17,554 posts

192 months

Yesterday (14:38)
quotequote all
IMO you would be mad to cut off the current sale for 12 months.

We went on the market in Sept last year. Its looking like its going to be the end of the summer when we finally move.

Just rent somewhere and be done with it.

This is assuming your job move is rock solid. I.e you own the company, or you are in a position of power within said org etc.

Arrivalist

132 posts

2 months

Yesterday (14:40)
quotequote all
Mogul said:
Is there any material risk that the ‘overseas work opportunity’ might fall through?
No mention of work - just moving abroad.