Discussion

SK555

Original Poster:

101 posts

39 months

Yesterday (20:27)
quotequote all
Hello

New bathroom installed and I purchased a blind like this. Helpfully it arrived after the fitters finished and I am now stuck.

Yes I could buy a tile drill bit and install it myself but I don't trust myself not to crack a tile. Are there any alternative fixings that could be possible to hold the blind in a humid-ish environment? I am thinking some super strong command strip type things, but cant quite to find anything suitable from some quick google-fu.

Cheers

James6112

4,663 posts

31 months

Yesterday (20:59)
quotequote all
The brackets pictured, maybe could screw them to the frame?

Just ordered one for my newly finished bathroom. After drilling many holes in the porcelain tiles I couldn’t face any more drilling.
Bought aluminium blind that compresses into the recess..

345 posts

204 months

Yesterday (21:15)
quotequote all
Just buy the tile bits and drill some holes, it's really not difficult.

sherman

13,536 posts

218 months

Yesterday (21:18)
quotequote all
Buy the tile bit.

AW10

4,455 posts

252 months

Yesterday (21:31)
quotequote all
A sharp masonry bit will work fine; just go slowly and do not use the hammer setting on the drill! If needs be drill a same size hole in a piece of scrap wood to use as a guide to help keep the bit from wandering until the hole is started.

tim0409

4,585 posts

162 months

You really need to drill the tiles to get a proper fix as non-mechanical methods aren’t going to survive for long.

Depending on the tile, I find these Bosch multi purpose drill bits to be very good - just take it slowly until you are through the surface layer.

https://www.screwfix.com/p/bosch-cyl-9-straight-sh...

jet_noise

5,708 posts

185 months

AW10 said:
A sharp masonry bit will work fine; just go slowly and do not use the hammer setting on the drill! If needs be drill a same size hole in a piece of scrap wood to use as a guide to help keep the bit from wandering until the hole is started.
An x (or + smile ) of masking tape works as an anti-start-wander/start aid too.
Agree on the sharp bit. As the OP is already uncertain he could consider a new one just for this task,

Rob.

250 posts

38 months

I've had no issues using the cheap arrow-head shaped tile bits. Bit of masking tape, keep the drill speed slow and squirt some water while drilling to keep the bit cool.

Mr Pointy

11,452 posts

162 months

Yep, it's surprisingly easy to drill tiles with those arrow shaped tile bits. Once you are through you can change to a normal masonary bit to drill the wall for the Fischer wall plug.

7,513 posts

39 months

If they are decent porcelain tile, you won’t be getting through them with standard drill bits whatever anyone says.

You will need diamond tipped bits for eg..

https://www.screwfix.com/p/marcrist-pg750x-dry-dia...

sidekickdmr

5,089 posts

209 months

I got fed up with fitting blinds into walls due to always seeming to hit a concrete lintals, so now I fix them on the back surface into the UPVC window, have done this for 10+ years in multiple properties with no issue, very strong too, worth considering?

Baldchap

7,874 posts

95 months

tim0409 said:
You really need to drill the tiles to get a proper fix as non-mechanical methods aren’t going to survive for long.

Depending on the tile, I find these Bosch multi purpose drill bits to be very good - just take it slowly until you are through the surface layer.

https://www.screwfix.com/p/bosch-cyl-9-straight-sh...
Can confirm these work on porcelain tiles. For triple pressed or similar you'll go through more than one. Far better to get a diamond one.